Feedback Strategies

How to Provide Great Feedback When You're Not in Charge
This article explains that there is 3 different types of feedback: appreciation, advice, and evaluation. I didn't know this but it makes sense. You should give appreciation when you want to create motivation or give appraisal for someones work. Use advice when you want someone to change or keep a certain behavior to create better work. Finally, evaluation is used when determining what someones work is like compared to others. Evaluation can be the hardest type of feedback to give, in my opinion,  because a lot of the time people end up feeling criticized and get their feelings hurt if you give them an evaluation that they don't like or agree with. As the article mentioned, a professor giving a student an A on a paper may make that student feel really good about themselves, but if that professor gives a C then the student is going to feel bad about their work. When giving evaluation feedback, I think it is super important to give comments with the evaluation, explaining what was good and what needed to be modified or changed.

What Kind of Messages Help Kids Grow?
Preschoolers and toddlers are in the early stage of developing self confidence and that is why it is such an important time to set a good foundation for them. The article explains that what they learn early on about self-confidence has a strong impact later on in their life. I loved the tip in this article explaining the power of the word "yet." Instead of a child saying "I can't do it," you can encourage them by saying "You can't do it yet." This slight difference in phrasing can help a child understand that they're still learning and growing, and that everything takes some practice. I can relate to this so much because I remember as a child I really wanted to learn how to tie shoes, but I was young and didn't know how. I would try and try but it just got me frustrated, and I remember telling my mom I'll never be able to do it (I was wrong). Of course, kids are always dramatic, so my mother kept telling me that I can't do it yet, but eventually if I keep trying I will get the hang of it. Feedback like this is encouraging, and although this article mainly pertains to children, small tips like phrasing can help a persons self confidence a lot and change their way of thinking, no matter the age.
Self Confidence, Trust, Hand, Pen, Write, Security
Confidence
Link to Image

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Physical Therapist

Week 9 Story: How the Boys Learned to Shoot